White Composite Fillings
Tooth-colored, composite fillings allow us to make functional and cosmetic corrections to your teeth. These materials provide the same durability of the traditional amalgam fillings, but they are far more aesthetically appealing.
These composite fillings offer a number of benefits, including:
- A natural appearance – Compared to metal amalgam, these composite materials can match the natural color of your teeth.
- Strong results – The composite fillings are heat cured, which leads to very durable results.
- No mercury – Some people are sensitive to certain materials, and resin composites avoid this problem.
- Strong bond – Modern composites can bond directly to your tooth, which means the results can be stronger than amalgam.
- Tooth preservation – Metal fillings require more drilling in order to shape the tooth to hold it in place. Since the composite fillings bond to the teeth, we don’t have to remove as much of the natural tooth.
How It Works
The process for composite fillings works just like the traditional variety. We start by removing the decay or shaping the damaged area of the tooth. Then the area is completely cleaned to make sure that no bacteria is remaining, and then we will isolate it from the surrounding teeth. This will make sure nothing goes wrong during the bonding process.
Next, we will apply the adhesive materials and then follow it with the composite resin in several thin layers and harden it in place with the bonding light.
Ongoing Care and Maintenance
While these fillings are as strong as the old metal materials, you will need to continue your regular dental hygiene routines. These new fillings can still be discolored by coffee, tea, and other foods and beverages that stain your teeth, so be sure to keep up on your flossing and brushing.
Contact us today to learn more about white, composite fillings or set up an appointment to take care of any cavities.